Choose the appropriate hypotension treatment base on your condition so you can stay away from the effects of low blood pressure. Wait… what are the effects or symptoms of hypotension?
The complications of hypotension are not as serious (or scary!) as hypertension. Phew… But when one’s blood pressure falls, it means there will be insufficient blood delivering to various organs for proper functioning. As a result, one will feel:
- Dizzy, lightheaded
- Fatigue, weak
- Short of breath
- Blurred vision
If left untreated, prolonged low blood pressure and severe lack of oxygen may damage organs. This increases the risk of having kidney failure, stroke, heart attack or shock that will likely lead to death.
Generally one does not have to get any specific hypotension treatment if the condition is not serious. However, if you are feeling very uncomfortable and unable to carry out your daily life, then you might want to take some steps to increase blood pressure.
My friend’s mum was taking hypertension medications. But she was very worried that the food she takes will elevate her blood pressure. She ended up not eating much every day. She was very weak, tired and dizzy. When she was admitted to the hospital, doctor diagnosed that her blood pressure was very low. So she did some changes to recover to healthy bp level.
Here are some of the hypotension treatment you may consider:
- Consult with your doctor whether the medications you take (hypertension, antidepressants…) are too powerful for you. Reduce the dosage or change to other medicines.
- Keep balance, variety, moderation, frequent (small) diet. Include more meats, eggs, cereals, spinaches, salmons, scallops and milks to increase iron and vitamin B-12 level. Consume more salt base on your doctor’s advice.
- Drink more water to prevent dehydration. You can also take caffeinated drinks like coffee and tea (not more than three cups a day) or sport drinks. Limit alcohol intake.
- Try some herbs that may increase blood pressure like ginseng, cinnamon, rosemary, ginger, pepper, turmeric or gingko biloba. You can make them to tea or add to your dishes.
- Avoid staying in hot area for long hours. For example, don’t go for sauna; don’t expose to strong sun directly to prevent heat stroke.
- Avoid standing for a long period, especially in crowded and stuffy area. This is to prevent dizziness or fainting.
- Give some time for your body to adjust and adapt when you change position. For instance, after you wake up, sit down on the bed for 20 seconds and take a few deep breaths before standing up.
- Use compression stockings. They are tighter than normal socks to apply pressure to the leg. Consequently, they help to circulate more blood to the heart instead of accumulating at the feet.
- Doctor may prescribe medications base on the type of hypotension like fludrocortisone or pyridostigmine for postural hypotension. Seek treatment immediately if you have the symptoms of shock.
Pick the right hypotension treatment to increase your blood pressure. After all, they are mostly small changes of lifestyle and diet that can improve your health. YOU CAN DO IT! 🙂